Greetings from the Hunter
Greetings from the Hunter Valley! Slow Food Hunter Valley members and friends would like to welcome you to our region. We invite you to take time out and immerse yourself in everything the Slow Food Movement is about, to enjoy our hospitality, make new friends, renew old friendships, experience our wine, our rural and farming communities, and our wonderful produce. We hope to inspire you to return home with lots of ideas on how you can make a difference in your own communities and make “good clean and fair food” a reality for all Australians.
The conference in brief
Wednesday 2 August
Hunter Valley Showcase Tours
11am – 5pm Tour one – Lunch, Slow Wine, History & Tastings $75pp
11am – 5pm Tour two – Lunch & tastings from our food communities $75pp
Thursday 3 August
9am – 11.30pm Leaders and Convivia representatives meeting (No charge)
12noon – 1.00pm Launch of the FIRST Australian Slow Food Earth Market and opening of the Slow Food in Australia National Conference 2017 – The Levee, Central Maitland (No charge)
1.00pm – 2.00pm Lunch options in The Levee Central Maitland $25
1.00pm – 5.00pm Slow Food Earth Market Maitland in operation (volunteers to assist producers)
6:00pm – 8:00pm Bruce Pascoe, in conversation with Amorelle Dempster, on his book The Dark Emu at Tocal College $25
8:00pm – 10:30pm Galloway Roast dinner with local wine at Tocal Agricultural College $35
Friday 4 August
Symposium: From the land and its people
9:00am – 5:00pm Symposium at Tocal College on From the land and its people – good, clean and fair food for all! $85
6:00pm – 9:00pm Winter Heat: Yarning around the fire in Wonnarua* Country and dinner around the fire at Tocal College $50 (or $15 for children).
Both the symposium and winter heat events are open to the general public. To book go to the Slow Food in Australia on the Try Booking website.
* Please note – spelling of the Wonnarua nation varies and may in some literature may be spelt as Wanaruah.
Saturday 5 August
Conference: Good, clean and fair food for all
9:00am – 5:00pm Slow Food in Australia – Business Meeting $95
7:00pm – 10:00pm Conference dinner and celebration of “slow wine in the Hunter Valley” at the Maitland Regional Art Gallery $100
The conference dinner is open to delegates, observers and the general public.
Sunday 6 August
9am 12.30pm – Slow Food in Australia Business Meeting continues (No charge)
1.30pm onwards – Optional picnic hosted by Slow Food Hunter Valley members and Friends (No charge)
Bookings via the Slow Food in Australia on the Try Booking website.
Accommodation is available in the following locations:
- Quest Maitland Serviced Apartments, NOW FULLY BOOKED (as of 29th June we have been advised that the Quest Apartments are now fully booked). 4.5 Star serviced apartment accommodation in the heart of Maitland. Studio $178 per night, one bedroom apartment $201 per night, two bedroom & two bathroom apartment $328 per night. Phone Leanne Donne on (02) 4999 6000 and mention code SLOWFOOD17, or visit their website (remember to mention SLOWFOOD17). Please feel free to download a flyer for the Quest Apartments.
- Basic share accommodation at Tocal College from 1 to 7 August 2017, mostly with 2 beds per room, at $30 per person per night. Maximum 23 beds.
- Unpowered sites for motor homes and campervans at Tocal College for $30 per night.
- Billeting with Slow Food Hunter Valley members.
For share and camping accommodation at Tocal College, or billeting, please email your preferences to Katie Clarke at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you can let Katie know whether you would like to be billeted or make use of the camping accommodation at Tocal, the number of people in your party, any other preferences, Katie will take your details and match you with someone.
Further accommodation options are available from www.mymaitland.com.au or via a standard internet search.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the people below.
Amorelle Dempster, Leader 0427 548 886
Ian Clarke, Conference Co-ordinator (email@example.com)
Anne kelly, Honorary Secretary (02) 4933 7761