In our final workshop of the preserving series Liz Griffiths will take you through the basics of food labelling and food labelling laws in Australia. In this 1.5 hour workshop Liz will touch on CoOL (country of origin labelling), allergens, weights, measures and more.
Liz will provide links to a range of online tools available for anyone wanting to preserve and label their own food. You will also see the process of producing your own labels using only a home computer and inkjet printer, Avery labels and the Internet. This is a fast paced workshop but don’t be afraid, Liz will be there to guide you.
- Liz will be repeating this workshop THREE times during the day. EACH workshop will have a maximum of six people.
- 9.00am to 10.30am
- 11.00am to 12.30pm
- 1.30pm to 3.00pm
Date: 1 December
Times: See above
Venue: Within Radius office
1 Elgin St
Maitland NSW 2320
(in the arcade behind The Salon Depot hairdressers)
Bookings: Try Bookings opening soon.
About the Series
Taking in salting, picking (vinegar), jam making (sugar), fermenting, drying and food labelling, this range of workshops is at the heart of Slow Food’s philosophy which includes reduced food waste and eating local produce. They will help you to understand how to extend the life of the produce that is right here at our doorstep. Preserving our local produce when it is in season (and when there is ample available) means we can have that food when it is out of season and without it having to travel half way around the world to get to our plate. Now that’s sustainability!
- The Preserving Series covers five preserving methods and ends with a food labelling workshop:
- Salting in July – 2 hour workshop (Jul 8). Workshop completed.
- Pickling in August (vinegar) – 3 hour workshop (Aug 7). Workshop completed.
- Jam making in September (sugar) – (Sep 21). Workshop completed.
- Fermenting in October – 2 hour workshop (October 2nd). Workshop completed.
- Drying in November – (Nov 16). Workshop completed.
- Food labelling in December – 1.5 hour workshop (Dec 1). Please note, this workshop has been brought forward by one week. Bookings to open soon.
Workshops will be held at different venues and the number of participants will vary for each workshop (depending on the size of the venue).
Ticket sales will be available in the weeks prior to each workshop. You will be notified through our mailing list. If you are not on our mailing list please complete our Quick Contact form at the top of the Home page. In the message section indicate you would like to be on our mailing list.
Tickets are also advertised through our Facebook so please be sure to follow us on Facebook.