This workshop is part of our “Preserving Series” that runs from July to December 2019. In this hands-on workshop you will learn the basics of jam making. Understand the nature of chutneys and why they are in the same “family” as jams when it comes to preserving. Learn a basic cordial recipe that can be used for any high-acid fruit such as lemons, limes and grapefruit. Understand the distinction between a marmalade and a jam. Bookings opening soon.
About the Series
Taking in salting, picking (vinegar), jam making (sugar), fermenting, drying and food labelling, this range of workshops is at the heart of Slow Food’s philosophy which includes reduced food waste and eating local produce. They will help you to understand how to extend the life of the produce that is right here at our doorstep. Preserving our local produce when it is in season (and when there is ample available) means we can have that food when it is out of season and without it having to travel half way around the world to get to our plate. Now that’s sustainability!
- The Preserving Series covers five preserving options:
- Salting in July – 2 hour workshop (Jul 8). Workshop completed.
- Pickling in August (vinegar) – 3 hour workshop (Aug 7) Workshop completed.
- Jam making in September (sugar) – (Sep 21). Book now with Try Bookings
- Fermenting in October – 2 hour workshop (October 2nd). Bookings to open soon.
- Drying in November – (Nov 17). Bookings to open soon.
- Food labelling in December – 2 hour workshop (Dec 7). This workshop will cover the main food labelling laws in Australia to finish off the preserving series. Bookings to open soon.
Workshops will be held at different venues and the number of participants will vary for each workshop (depending on the size of the venue).
Tickets will be released over the next two weeks. You will be notified through our mailing list. If you are not on our mailing list please complete our Quick Contact form on the Home page (top right) and in the message section indicate you would like to be on our mailing list.
Tickets are also advertised through our Facebook so please be sure to follow us on Facebook.