Slow Food Hunter Valley encourages and promotes the efforts of local community gardens. Local, seasonal and fresh produce is at the heart of what we believe in and community gardens crertainly provide this ‘in spades’ (no pun intended … well maybe a small pun).
Our desire for “good, clean and fair food for all” is implicit in the concept of a community garden and, for this reason, we thought it was worthwhile listing as many community gardens as we could find around the Hunter (and nearby). The community gardens listed below have given permission for us to list them. We check the information annually but welcome any information that will help us keep this list up to date.
- Community gardens operating across the Hunter include:
- Habitat In Harmony Community Garden (Belmont)
- Denman Community Garden and Farmer’s Market (Denman)
- Dudley Community Garden (Dudley) – Facebook page
- Fiacre’s Feast Free Community Garden (Rutherford) – Facebook page
- Hamilton South Community Garden (no web link available)
- Merewether Community Garden (Merewether) – Facebook page
- Sandhills Community Garden (Newcastle East) – Facebook page
- The Terrace Community Garden (Tighes Hill)
- Warners Bay Community Garden (Warners Bay)
- University of Newcastle Community Garden (Callaghan) – Facebook page
Want to be listed?
If you are an active member of a community garden and you want to be listed here, please speak to your peers. If there is a concensus that you would like to be listed, send us an email (see our Contact Us page).
- We would like you to include in the email:
- the exact name of the garden (as you want it to appear in the listing)
- and a link to either a website or Facebook page (if you have one).
Please note, we do not publish contact details for each community garden on this page because of the maintenance needed to keep this information up to date. We will, however, link to a web page or Facebook page if you can provide one.