Slow Food Hunter Valley encourages and promotes the efforts of local community and native gardens. Access to local, seasonal and fresh produce is at the heart of what we believe in and community gardens certainly provide this ‘in spades’ (no pun intended … well, maybe a small pun).
We love seeing people getting out and enjoying nature together and what better way to do it than to be part of your local community garden. Not only do you get to meet new people and learn new skills, but you get to grow a variety of food, that can be taken home to eat. And home grown food always tastes way better!
Our desire for “good, clean and fair food for all” is implicit in the concept of a community garden and there are so many local gardens around ready for you to join. Do not worry, there is no long-term commitment, just turn up and have some fun. Bring the entire family along for a day out and meet your neighbours.
Together we can make a sustainable change and start eating more food grown from our very own backyards.
Community Gardens Listing
We have collated a list of community gardens in our local area but are always on the search for more! Contact us if you would love your garden to be listed below. We also produce a seasonal newsletter to support the community gardens network which showcases a community garden, shares any useful community garden information and offers support from Slow Food Hunter Valley. If you would like to join this email list, send us a community gardens email request at slowfoodhuntervalley @gmail.com.
- Your community gardens are:
- Adamstown – >https://www.facebook.com/groups/TheLanewayPark
- Belmont North – https://www.facebook.com/HabitatInHarmony/
- Carrington – https://www.facebook.com/CarringtonCommunityGarden
- Denman – https://www.facebook.com/groups/358509327541744/
- Figtree – https://www.facebook.com/figtreecommunitygarden/
- Hamilton – https://www.facebook.com/groups/communityorchard/
- Holmsville – https://www.facebook.com/holmesvillecommunitygarden/
- Kooragang Island – https://kooragangwetlands.com/getinvolved/
- Mayfield – https://www.facebook.com/groups/317285347837/
- Merewether – https://www.facebook.com/Merewethercommunitygarden/
- Redhead – https://www.facebook.com/Redhead-Community-Garden-342819989139418
- Rutherford – https://www.facebook.com/Fiacres-Feast-Free-Community-Garden-2320-807142442654221/
- Tighes Hill – https://www.facebook.com/TighesHillCommunityGarden/
- Thornton – https://www.facebook.com/thepaddockgardenspacethornton/
- Toronto – http://www.sustainableneighbourhoods.org.au/community-garden.html
- Waratah – https://www.facebook.com/huntermulticultural/
Do You Have a Community Garden?
- If you would like your community garden listed here, send us an email (see our Contact Us page) and include the following:
- suburb where the garden is located
- a link to either a website or Facebook page
- your name and contact details (in case we need to verify any details).
Please note, we do not publish the contact details for people at your community garden on this page because of the maintenance needed to keep this information up to date.